Rock the Block is a fun filled event for families and individuals of all ages held in the spring by United Way of McLean County. Thousands of people in the McLean County area come together to celebrate volunteerism; a recognition of those who go above and beyond with their gifts of time to help make the community a better place.
Fun Things to Happen
· Enjoy Uptown Normal’s unique business community with Medici’s special set up on the block selling beverages and sandwiches and Stave Wine Bar and Market, a great place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine or craft beer just to name a few of the fun places to visit during the event.
· The Block Party starts hopping at 4:00 p.m. with a return visit of our special guests “The Red Scarves” performing a unique mix of indie folk and jazz rock. The band is becoming a Chicago staple and has been touring and crafting their sophomore release, a full-length album titled Sort of Scarlet.
· 5:00 p.m. marks the time for the traditional Hot Dog Eating Contest sponsored by Windy City Wieners, an authentic Chicago-style food establishment in Uptown Normal since 2009.
· Music continues throughout the event with the ever-popular Mike and Joe as our featured band from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Mike and Joe is one of the nation’s most well renowned rock cover bands! The bulk of the setlist includes rock hits from the 90’s through today, but occasionally they’ll throw in some tunes from the 70’s and 80’s as well!
· Don’t forget to participate in a special raffle for a bike from Vitesse Cycle Shop, a full service locally owned bike shop that is considered central Illinois’ premier Trek and electrical bicycle retailer.
Rock the Block is open to the public free of charge. A $5 donation to United Way of McLean County
at the entrance gates is encouraged and donor will receive a commemorative stadium cup
while supplies last, for their support of the event.